Jon will be one of the panelists Racism & COVID-19: Combating a Pandemic and Hate Crimes Against Asian Americans & Pacific Islanders sponsored by the Muhammad Ali Center in Louisville, KY on April 21, 2021 at 12pm. See details below.
While the United States saw a spike in COVID-19 infections, intolerance and racism against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) simultaneously increased. In 2020, hate crimes against AAPI rose nearly 150 percent, putting families and communities in jeopardy. During this discussion, panelists will explore how xenophobic rhetoric and Anti-Asian discrimination has caused violence and fear in our country, while providing actionable steps in how we can keep our AAPI neighbors safe.Panelists include:
• Dan Wu, Small Business Owner & Activist
• Jon Silpayamanant, Intercultural Multi-Instrumentalist, Composer, Researcher, & Music Educator
• Dr. Florence Chang, Executive Administrator of Accountability, Research, and Systems Improvement for JCPS
• Dr. Monica Lakhwani, Multicultural Specialist for the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Poverty in Jefferson County Public Schools
• Rachel Anger, Education & Outreach Coordinator at the Louisville Metro Human Relations CommissionModerated by:
• Bryan Warren, Senior Consultant for the Office for Globalization, a Division of Louisville Forward in Louisville Metro GovernmentThis program is in partnership with The Office for Globalization and Lean Into LouisvilleThe 2021 I Am America Program Series is sponsored by LG&E and KU EnergyRegistration Link: